Honey and Honeybee Facts
1. A worker bee will produce 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey throughout her lifetime.
2. Honeybees are the only insect to produce food that is consumed by people. The practice
of honey collection and beekeeping dates back to the stone-
3. Honey is sweeter tasting than most other sweeteners. Therefore, you may use less honey
than other sweeteners in some recipes .
4. Honey is a naturally fat-
5. Honeybees are social insects, with a marked division of labor between the various types
of bees in the colony. A colony includes one queen, 300-
6. The queen bee is the only sexually developed female in the hive.
7. A productive queen can lay 3,000 eggs in a single day.
8. Drones have no stingers. They do not collect food or pollen and their sole purpose is to
mate with the queen. In fact, if the colony is short on food , the drones are the first to get
kicked out of the hive!
9. The worker bees are sexually undeveloped females. Their life expectancy is
the hive entrance, and help to keep the hive cool by fanning their wings.